The Fourth Annual North Carolina
Jerk Food Festival
Saturday, September 23rd, 2017
West Point on the Eno Amphitheater
5101 N Roxboro Rd, Durham, NC 27704
8:00am – 6:00pm
A Likkle Jerk Spice Mek Ev’ry Ting Nice!©
Our Sponsors Include:
The Fourth Annual North Carolina Jerk Fest 5K
8:00am Saturday, September 23rd, 2017
West Point on the Eno Amphitheater
5101 N Roxboro St, Durham, NC 27704
$35 before August 31st | Regular price $40 | 17 and under $20 | On race day $45 (adults only)
Awesome post-race party featuring live music, authentic Caribbean food, drinks and giveaways from our sponsors and partners.
Medals • Dri-fit T-shirt • Jerk Chicken • Live Music • Beer • Chip Timing
September 22nd, 2017
4:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Fleet Feet Durham
6807 Fayetteville Rd #105, Durham, NC
September 23rd, 2017
7:00 am - 7:30 am
West Point on the Eno, 5101 N Roxboro St, Durham, NC
Sign up below for a chance to compete in the Jerk Wing Eating Contest!
Jerk Cook-Off Competition
The goal is to promote the flavors of the Caribbean and highlight the extraordinary talents and creativity of the local community through the Culinary Arts.
The winner of the competition will have 365 days of bragging rights as the North Carolina Jerk Fest Cook-Off Champion, trophy and other prizes.
• One unseasoned whole chicken
• Surprise ingredient to be used in Jerk Chicken masterpiece
• Apron for each competitor
• One 10×10 Tent
• One 8’ Tables
• White Plates
•One Sanitation Bucket
• Two Bussing Pans (one with soapy water and one with plain water)
EACH COMPETITOR WILL PROVIDE
• A Bio of each contestant (maximum of 150 words each) (maximum of 3 persons per team)
• Contestants’ individual/ team photo
• Personal grills, knives, cookware and small appliance. (a list of small appliances must be
provided with the initial application, Blenders, Food processors, Stovetop burners etc)
• Coolers and ice for cold storage.
• All contestants must have a food thermometer to monitor food temperatures.
• Personal ingredients/seasonings for Jerk Chicken masterpiece and side dish.
• Each contestant must bring all ingredients required to prepare five(5) standard portions of a
Jerk Chicken masterpiece and side dish at the competition location (NO PASTA ALLOWED).
• The contestants will cook with a surprise ingredient which will be unveiled at the pre-competition briefing.
• All individuals and teams are required to attend a pre-competition briefing at 11:00 am.
• Contestants will have 60 minutes for prepping/marinating/organizing and 90 minutes for
• Portions must be presented on a plain white plate supplied by Jerk Cook-Off organizers with
color coded sticker as assigned to each individual.
• Each of the five Food Judges will be presented with their own plate for judging purposes.
RULES & REGULATIONS:
• All contestants MUST be ready and in position at their work stations at 12:30 pm
• Contestants must adhere to all health, electrical, fire codes whether city, county, state or
• No cooking of any kind may begin before the competition starts and prior to being
inspected by the official booth inspector.
• Each Contestant will be allowed 60 minutes for prepping/marinating/organizing on the
day of the competition.
• No cooking is allowed during prepping/marinating/organizing period.
• Vegetable and salads may be cleaned and washed but not cut or shaped in any form.
• Team members will be the only people allowed in the prep area.
• The finished plates will be presented to the Food Judges. If the plate is NOT complete, it will
still be pulled at the call time and presented to the Judges as is.
The Judges will be using a point scale as follows:
Taste and Presentation – 10 points each
• Use of color, consistent portion size
• Plating technique
• Seasoning and overall appeal
Total Points out of 50
Organization – 5 points each
• Time management and general preparation management
Culinary Skills – 3 points each
• Knife skills
• Cooking Techniques
• Proper use of equipment
• Recipe compliance
• Proper food handling
Total Points out of 15
For more info please email us at NCJerkFest@gmail.com
with subject line: Jerk Cook Off
Live Reggae Music All Day
This schedule may change without notice
NC Jerk Fest 5K
|5K Race Registration & Packet Pick -Up||7:00 AM – 7:30 AM|
|Pre- Race Warm Up||7:31 AM – 7:50 AM|
|5K Race||8:00 AM – 9:30 AM|
|5K Race Awards, Refreshments & Live Music||9:31 AM – 9:45 AM|
NC Jerk Wing Eating Contest
|Jerk Wing Eating Contest 1||10:30 AM – 10:40 AM|
|Jerk Wing Eating Contest 2||1:40 PM – 1:50 PM|
|Jerk Wing Eating Contest 3||3:40 PM – 4:00 PM|
|Jerk Wing Eating Contest 4||5:15 PM – 5:30 PM|
NC Jerk Fest Cooking Demo
|Start the PARTY!||7:30 AM – 9:29 AM|
|Crucial Fire Band||9:30 AM – 10:30 AM|
|Natural Vibes Sound||10:31 AM – 11:59 AM|
|Mickey Mills and Steel Band||12:00 PM – 1:00 PM|
|Dub Addis Band||2:00 PM – 3:00 PM|
|DJ||3:01 PM – 3:59 PM|
|Jam Rock Reggae Band||4:00 PM – 5:00 PM|
|DJ||5:01 PM – 6:00 PM|